Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2013

100% of the concerto barley used to make this single malt was produced on Islay.
After being distilled in 2013, 75% of the whisky was aged in American whiskey barrels that had previously held Ribera del Duero, Syrah, and Pauillac wines, and the remaining 25% was aged in European wine casks.

The ninth release of the distillery's single vintage, unpeated single malt that strives to investigate Islay terroir is Islay Barley 2013. This specific bottle contains the produce from the 2012 growing season; the crop was grown on the island's seven farms, all of which are identified on the bottle. Islay experiences heavy rainfall, storms, and a large population of migratory geese, making it difficult to grow barley there. In order to grow barley locally, Bruichladdich teamed up with one local farmer in 2004. Currently, it collaborates with 19 farmers, who supply around 50% of Bruichladdich's production requirements.

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.